Water and Wastewater Treatment Operator IV is responsible for the operation of assigned facilities and resolution of the majority of routine operational problems. Assignments in this position may vary but usually include one large or several smaller plants on a regular basis. These are the advanced journey level technical class in the Water and Wastewater Treatment Operator series which provides training and direction to Water and Wastewater personnel and performs the most complex operations and maintenance activities as allowed by their certification.
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following examples.
• Operates several treatment facilities with varying processes including sequencing batch reactor, sand filtration, activated sludge, aerobic and anaerobic digestion, and water reclamation.
• Operates and services, lubricates, and adjusts and/or cleans pumps, plunger pump, D.O. probe, comminuting devices, sulfide oxidation process (SOP) systems, generators, pumps, digesters, boilers, oxidation ponds, bio filtration facilities, percolation beds, and activated sludge processes.
• Performs checks on pumps, motors, hydraulic lines, structures, pressure tanks and mechanical equipment for proper condition and operation; takes meter, gauge and control panel readings and observes variations in operating conditions; interprets information to determine processing requirements; monitors and changes flows and processes within established parameters; reports readings and processing changes on operation logs and records.
• Collects and performs routine biological and chemical tests/analyses (COD, settle able solids, C12 residuals, PH, DO, MLSS) on lake/well/wastewater and by-product samples; records sampling and test results; prepares samples for testing in central laboratory; monitors use of reclaimed water in agricultural fields.
FULL JOB DESCRIPTION
To view the full job description, go to VRSD website at www.vrsd.com.
Any equivalent combination of experience and education that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities would be:
1. Four (4) years of increasingly responsible experience as a Water/Wastewater Treatment Operator.
2. Equivalent to a high school diploma.
3. Possession of a Grade IV Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator Certificate issued by the California State Water Resource Control Board (SWRCB) or equivalent certification issued by a reciprocal state to California.
4. Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Class C California driver's license, and a driving record acceptable for insurability.
5. Possession of water certification from the California Department of Health Services is desirable.
6. Depending on assignment, a valid Class B driver's license may be required.
To be considered, submit an application through https://agency.governmentjobs.com/vrsd/default.cfm.