Salary: $116,676.00 - $164,736.00 Annually
Close Date: Open until filled. The first round of consideration deadline will be Tuesday, November 22, 2022 at 5:00pm. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately.
The Irvine Ranch Water District is currently accepting applications for a Water Quality Manager in our Water Quality Department. Under general direction, the Water Quality Manager will plan, organize, oversee and supervise the efficient operation of the Water Quality Group, including complex laboratory water quality analyses, equipment and quality control/quality assurance, regulatory reports, and water quality projects. Water quality analyses include: drinking water, wastewater, recycled water, stormwater, biosolids, and air quality. The successful candidate will manage a full-time staff of 22 people as well as temporary employees and interns.
Summary of Duties
- Designee as “Technical Manager” for the District’s Environmental Laboratory Accreditation Program certification.
- Develop subordinates through delegation of authority and encouragement of appropriate certification.
- Review and approve performance reviews of department personnel on a regular periodic basis, and recommend salary adjustments, promotions, and disciplinary action for department staff.
- Plan, organize, oversee and supervise the efficient operation of the Water Quality Department.
- Organize the structure of the Water Quality Group, adjusting it in accordance with workloads and new and changing functions.
- Respond to unique or sensitive water quality concerns from customers and others.
- Act as a project manager for large, complex water quality programs including drinking water, recycled water, wastewater, stormwater, biosolids, and air quality.
- Maintain contact with various governmental and regulatory agencies, industry related agencies and represent IRWD at public and professional organizations, as well as on Committees/Workgroups of local water agencies.
- Prepare, present, and control the Water Quality Group’s operating budget and selected water quality capital projects. Oversee the acquisition, replacement, and maintenance of laboratory equipment and the capital equipment replacement fund.
- Coordinate with the Regulatory Compliance Group on all permit requirements for IRWD’s numerous facilities; ensure adherence to monitoring requirements; and oversee water quality reporting.
- Review new and/or updated regulatory water quality monitoring requirements, and evaluate the impact of the monitoring on IRWD. Plan and develop strategies to comply with the new and/or updated standards.
- Effectively interface with other department Managers and Directors on a regular basis.
- Conduct regular project management and/or staff meetings with department management staff.
- Issue and oversee contracts with third-party providers for laboratory services, supplies, and equipment maintenance.
- Oversee the management and implementation of the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS).
- Oversee the implementation of new state laboratory standards as adopted by the California Environmental Laboratory Accreditation Program. Maintain proper accreditation of IRWD’s laboratory.
- Comply with District safety work-related practices and attend relevant safety training.
A combination of education and experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s of Science degree in chemistry, biology, water quality, or a closely related field from an accredited university. For degrees obtained outside of the U.S., an official equivalency evaluation is required. Experience:
Eight years of professional experience in chemistry, biology, or water quality for water or wastewater systems with four of those years in a supervisory capacity is required. License/Certifications:
- Valid Class ‘C’ California Driver’s License (or equivalent) is required.
- American Water Works Association (AWWA) Laboratory Analyst Certification is highly desirable; or
- California Water Environment Association (CWEA) Laboratory Analyst Certification is highly desirable.
For a complete job description, click here
For more information regarding our benefits, click here