Water Plant Operator / Senior Water Plant Operator Salary:
See Position Description Job Type:
Full-Time Job Number:
CA, CA Department:
Treated Water Closing:
Water Plant Operator
San Jose, CaliforniaAnnual Salary:
$106,662.40- $136,614.40 DOE/DOQ Senior Water Plant Operator
San Jose, CaliforniaAnnual Salary:
$117,748.80- $150,737.60 DOE/DOQ
We are seeking a Water Plant Operator or Senior Water Plant Operator to join Valley Water's South Treatment Operations Unit. This position will perform the duties of a state-designated shift operator in the monitoring and operation of a water treatment plant, to provide relief operations shift coverage and, as necessary, to perform the duties of an Assistant Water Plant Operator. The Water Plant Operator will use the Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) system to monitor and control plant operations. They will be responsible for analyzing data to ensure compliance with all State and Federal drinking water standards and performing administrative procedures. The Water Plant Operator will train and sign-off training checklists for lower-level operations staff. They will perform scheduled and emergency plant shut-downs and start-ups. Additionally, they will complete safety trainings and follow safety protocols. We are seeking to fill multiple positions, for which the incumbents would be hired as either a Water Plant Operator or Senior Water Plant Operator. There are multiple ways a candidate may develop the skills and experience required to be successful in this role. Depending on the background and experience of the selected candidate, the exact classification will be determined at point of hire. Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Ideal Candidate's Background Includes:
- As the state-designated shift operator, oversee all plant activities on an assigned shift; maintain situational awareness of, or assist in, maintenance, engineering, and construction work, special projects, contractors, non-plant Valley Water employees, and all plant visitors; represent the treatment plant with personnel located offsite such as retailers, regulators, other Valley Water plants and support units, and other water agencies; direct the activities of the operator on shift; and formulate production and quality related decisions.
- Use the plant's computer based Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) system to monitor and control plant operations; investigate and respond to alarms; scan multiple computer monitors simultaneously; navigate a multitude of program screens to observe, track, and retrieve on-line instrument readings for water, chemicals, and equipment.
- Perform various administrative tasks such as data entry into spreadsheets and database programs, initiate and follow up on work orders for preventative and corrective maintenance; create and revise standard operating procedures; order chemicals; maintain, compile, and review plant operations data; complete entries into the plant's log book.
- Serve in the role of Relief Operator on as needed/rotational basis.
- Train lower-level operator staff; sign off on training checklists.
Applicants whose experience and background best match the ideal experience, knowledge, skills, abilities, and education are considered ideal candidates for the position. To determine the top candidates, each applicant will be assessed based on the ideal candidate criteria as listed below. Ideal Experience:Water Plant Operator Experience:
Three (3) years of experience performing work as a licensed operator at a water treatment plant that is rated as a T-4 or higher facility.Senior Water Plant Operator Experience:
Five (5) years of experience as a licensed operator at a water treatment plant. Two (2) of the five (5) years must have been working as a state-designated shift operator while holding a valid T3 operator certificate at a facility rated at a T4 level or higher. Ideal Skills and Abilities:
- Working experience/expertise in operating and troubleshooting standard and advanced water treatment plant equipment
- Proficient in water treatment math and chemistry
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), SCADA, Maximo.
Ideal Training and Education:Water Plant Operator/ Senior Water Plant Operator
- Understanding of key regulations, reporting procedures and requirements of drinking water
- Knowledge of safe work practices around water treatment plant chemicals and equipment
- Knowledge of practices and responsibilities of leading the work of assigned staff
- Understanding and familiarity with new or pending regulations such as algal toxicity.
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade supplemented by six (6) quarter units in chemistry and six (6) quarter units in math from an accredited college.Required License or Certificate
Water Plant Operator License or Certificate:
Possession of a valid Grade T3 Water Treatment Operator certificate issued by the California State Water Resources Control Board. Senior Water Plant Operator License or Certificate:
Possession of a valid Grade T4 Water Treatment Operator certificate issued by the California State Water Resources Control Board.
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid California driver's license. Individuals who do not meet the driver's license requirement due to a disability will be considered for a reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis. To review the Classification Specification, please click here (Download PDF reader)South Water Treatment Unit (Position Code 472, 532, 571 )
Valley Water Telework Program: Eligibility for telework will depend on the type of work performed, operational needs, and the ability for the employee to perform the essential functions of their job duties while teleworking. Employment with Valley Water requires employees to live within 150 miles of their primary physical work location located in San Jose, California by their start date. This position requires the individual to be onsite and is typically not a teleworking position.Selection Process
(1) The selection process may include one or more of the following: application review, application assessment, performance exercise, written exercise and/or interview.
(2) The Employment Application, Qualifying Information Questions and/or Supplemental Questions will be evaluated based on the ideal candidate criteria listed above. Resumes are highly recommended. NOTE:
Position and start date is subject to availability of funds. Valley Water retains the right to repost this position as deemed necessary.Consideration may be given to existing applicant pools within the same classification.Valley Water's Equal Opportunity Non-Discrimination Policy is available for review upon request.Valley Water will make reasonable efforts in the examination process to accommodate persons with disabilities. Please advise Human Resources in advance of any special needs by calling 408-630-2260.Please be aware that once submitted all application materials become the property of Valley Water and will not be returned. Human Resources staff are not authorized to make copies of application materials for applicants. To apply, please visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/scvwd/jobs/4367088/water-plant-operator-senior-water-plant-operator Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency