Salary: $5,992.00 - $8,525.00 Monthly
Close Date: June 15, 2023, 11:59 p.m.
***Effective July 1, 2023, the salary range for this position will receive a 3.8% increase***
The Irvine Ranch Water District is currently accepting applications for a Water Efficiency Specialist. Under direct supervision, the incumbent is responsible for assisting in the development and implementation of water efficiency programs working with customers and staff to reduce the District's water demand.
Summary of Duties
- Perform a variety of customer service functions related to water efficiency. Respond to inquiries in writing or on the phone about programs, provide information and materials as needed to the customer to assist in saving water. Primary responder to water efficiency-related phone calls, emails, and walk-in customer inquiries.
- Respond to assigned customer service requests in a timely manner.
- Monitor monthly customer usage against allocations, and notify customers of excess usage. Educate customers with regard to the IRWD budget based tiered rate structure, including evapotranspiration, provide seasonal watering schedule and information about low-water use plants and efficient watering practices.
- Solicit, schedule and conduct on-site surveys/inspections for high use residential, commercial, industrial, and landscape customers, as assigned. Provide customers with assistance in detecting leaks, measuring landscape areas for water budgets, making recommendations on efficient water use techniques, equipment improvement, and other methods of achieving more efficient use.
- Assist in the planning, development and implementation of residential, commercial, and institutional water conservation programs and projects. Provide data gathering and entry in support of conservation programs, research studies and grants.
- Assist with program participation monitoring and management of schedule, budget and consultant resources and coordination of contracts, agreements, and purchase orders.
- Assist in preparing materials and packets for events. Help develop content, attend and make presentations at community workshops or events, and assist in publicizing the District's water efficiency programs. Participate in tours and workshops in evenings and on weekends as necessary.
- Confer with representatives of the landscape profession, other utilities, industry associations, and manufacturers and vendors of water devices as necessary to remain current on new developments in the field of water efficiency.
- Perform field work, which consists of driving to various properties and or substantial walking on streets, sidewalks and uneven landscape terrains.
- Interact with customers, landscapers, and contractors with the goal of fulfilling various project related responsibilities such as determining the irrigated area of associated meters.
- Represent the District at professional or industry group meetings.
- Develop knowledge of proper plants and their irrigation needs for Southern California climate appropriate landscapes.
- Use a personal computer to enter, maintain, and analyze water use data, and prepare reports and correspondence.
- Comply with safety work-related practices and attend relevant safety training.
- Responsible for all other work related duties as assigned.
A combination of education and experience equivalent to a Bachelor's Degree with emphasis in environmental studies, environmental science, water resources, physical sciences, horticulture, or a related field. For degrees obtained outside of the U.S., an official equivalency evaluation is required. Experience:
Work experience in water efficiency or related discipline is desirable. License/Certification:
- A valid Class 'C' California Driver's License is required.
- AWWA Water Use Efficiency Practitioner Level I certification preferred.
For a complete job description, click here
For more information regarding our benefits, click here