Are you an experienced Utility Worker with knowledge of construction and maintenance of water distribution, wastewater collection, reclamation and related facilities? Are you flexible and able to work in a fast-paced environment while focusing on safety? If so, we would like to hear from you.
The Otay Water District offers excellent benefits, a balanced work/life environment and is a leader in the industry.
About the Position and Department
The position may be appointed at either level depending upon qualifications and experience. The position reports to the Utility Maintenance Supervisor and performs work in the construction and maintenance of water distribution, wastewater collection, and reclamation facilities.
The Operations Department is responsible for the operations, maintenance and repair of all Otay Water District facilities and equipment. Facilities include pipelines, reservoirs, pump stations, lift stations, and a reclamation plant for potable water and recycled water distribution, wastewater collections, and wastewater reclamation. The Operations Department has a staff of approximately 54 employees.
Applications will be accepted until there are a sufficient number of highly qualified applicants from which to make a selection. For information on the recruitment process, please go to the Employment section of our website www.otaywater.gov.
Examples of Duties
Both Levels Include:
Utility Worker II Level duties also include:
- Operates light, medium and heavy-duty, motorized vehicles and equipment, backhoes (for light duties such as loading and unloading dump trucks, job site cleanup, etc.), forklifts, Vactor truck, jackhammers, drills, electric and pneumatic powered tools and similar equipment and tools. Performs safety inspections of equipment; cleans and maintains tools and equipment.
- Digs with various hand tools, such as shovels and digging bars.
- Operates cement mixers, compressors, compactors, and concrete saws.
- Lays out materials for job. Lays pipe. Mixes, pours and finishes concrete. Repairs pavement.
- Loads and unloads trucks.
- Sets up or assists with set up of traffic control at work site in accordance with crew leader's or supervisor's instructions.
- Assists on maintenance and construction projects at all District facilities.
- Works in vaults and other confined spaces utilizing proper safety techniques and equipment.
- Assists in the preventative and corrective maintenance of the water distribution system, wastewater collection and recycled water system and appurtenances such as water mains, hydrants, valves, meters, sewer mains and laterals.
- Assists in making repairs or replacing inoperative sections of water/wastewater and recycled water systems.
- Sets up shoring in trenches. Backfills and tamps trenches. Repairs or replaces inoperative sections of pipe.
- Installs large and small water meters and water/sewer laterals.
- Repairs and cleans reservoirs and water tanks.
- Installs and repairs fire hydrants, water and fire services, valves, air-vacs, blow-offs and other similar appurtenances.
- Assists in performing wet taps.
- Paints piping, building interiors and exteriors, and other equipment and facilities.
- Operates District vehicles and equipment.
- Shares in rotational standby duties which includes being available 24/7, weekends and holidays.
- Responds to emergencies as required during and after normal work hours.
- Identifies and recommends opportunities for improvement.
- Maintains documentation logs of the cleaning and inspection of the wastewater collection system in order to be in compliance with regulations.
- Documents maintenance on all District appurtenances.
- Assumes responsibility for quality of work performed by a crew and the safety of crew members in the absence of a Senior Utility Worker, Crew Leader and/or Supervisor.
- Performs related work of Utility Worker I as required.
- Assists in implementing and executing the District’s strategic plan.
For the complete job description go to the Employment section of our website www.otaywater.gov
. Required Licenses and/or Certifications
Both levels require a Valid California Class C Driver's License with a safe driving record. A valid California Class A Driver's License and required endorsements is required within twelve (12) months of appointment. Water Distribution Operator Certificate D-1 issued by the California State Water Resource Control Board desired. Utility Worker I:
CWEA Collection Systems Maintenance Technologist Certificate Grade I desired. Utility Worker II:
CWEA Collection Systems Maintenance Technologist Certificate Grade I required if the employee is assigned to the collection system cleaning crew on a long-term basis. Minimum Experience, Education, and Training Requirements
Both levels require a High School Diploma or G.E.D. Utility Worker I:
One (1) year of experience working in construction, or construction maintenance. Experience in water, wastewater, or water reclamation systems construction highly desirable. Utility Worker II:
Two (2) years experience in the construction and/or construction maintenance in water, wastewater or recycled water systems or related experience.
This position will be subject to random drug testing during employment.
This is an hourly, non-exempt position.
Otay Water District is a Smoking, Tobacco and Nicotine Free Campus.
All Otay Water District employees are at-will pursuant to California Water Code, Section 71362. Otay Water District
2554 Sweetwater Springs Boulevard
Spring Valley, California, 91978