Small System Operator
California Water Service
California Water Service
The Small System Operator (SSO) maintains the supply and distribution systems including treatment facilities, well pumps and tanks, booster pumps, water mains, and service lines. This job includes tasks performed by Utility Worker (UW), Certified Pump Operator (CPO), Distribution Service Technician (DST), Meter Reader (MR), Water Quality Technician (WQT), Water Systems Material Specialist (WSMS), Operations Clerk (OC), Sub-Structure Locating Technician (SSLT). The position is located in Guerneville, CA.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Performs relief work under various field operations classifications.
- Change and replace 5/8" thru 1" size meters and meter box lids and covers.
- Assist to flush and perform maintenance on all necessary functions of mains, which includes operation system valves.
- Assist in setting, replacing, or removing 1-1/2" and 2" size meters.
- Operate wells, booster pumps, and regulate other sources of supply maintaining flows, storage levels, and optimal system pressure.
- Record production data, operational changes, electric use, and utilization of other sources of supply; chemical usage; change charts and maintain chart supplies.
- Collect water samples for laboratory analysis and for reporting to interdepartmental and outside regulatory agencies.
- Diagnose and troubleshoot system failures; notify appropriate personnel when needed for repairs or further diagnostics.
- Perform field analysis of water supply for chlorine content and other required field analysis; for example pH, temperature, and other various regulatory requirements; making appropriate adjustments for proper water treatment calibration to meet water regulatory requirements.
- Operate and perform maintenance and minor repairs to treatment, disinfection, and equipment.
- Operational testing and basic inspections of all emergency standby power sources including portable and stationary generators, auxiliary, and portable boosters.
- Provide customer service including investigation or inquiries of meter leaks, meter reads; service line leaks or malfunction; leaks in the distribution system and answer customer questions and concerns.
- Turn services on and off, providing appropriate customer communication regarding such activity.
- Whether by walking or driving an assigned route, access meters using a meter hook for lifting and removing lids if needed, and use meter reader device to record meter readings.
- Enter trouble codes into the meter reader device for meter boxes that are obscure, in hazardous condition, or not accessible and/or would require longer than reasonable time to be spent obtaining a read or for meters needing repair.
- Replace dials or perform minor maintenance on smart meters.
- Diagnose high/low pressure concerns; notify appropriate personnel when needed for repairs or further diagnostics; dirty water, hi/low pressure, no water, taste and odor, air.
- Respond to USA requests and district requests to mark underground utilities.
- Read, research and interpret distribution system maps, plats, and as-built drawings.
- Read and interpret construction, staking, and field marking to assess impact to company facilities.
- Coordinate and communicate locating activities with contractors and other utilities as needed.
- Ensure distribution system materials meet Company, AWWA, and NSF Standards using proper storage technique.
- Prepare requisitions and annual blanket orders.
- Maintain maintenance records for vehicles and equipment.
- Respond to and resolve inquiries from vendors, including updating vendor insurance documentation.
- Prepare necessary forms for field operations including budget sheets, estimates, and completion reports.
- Prepare drawings to accompany forms, field measurement, and keep local plat sheets up to date.
- Other duties as assigned.
Salary Range: $40.62 - $45.68Deadline to submit resume is Wednesday, September 27, 2023.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Experience working for a water utility in field operations, customer service, or related department desired
- State Water Resources Control Board-Drinking Water-Operator Certification Programs Water Distribution Operator Grade II Certification
- State Water Resources Control Board-Drinking Water-Operator Certification Programs Water Treatment Operator Grade II Certification
- Must be available for on call duties
- Knowledge of construction, maintenance, and repairs to distribution system desired
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office applications
- Valid California Driver License
- Must live within 45 minutes of the District office
The Equal Opportunity Policy of the Company is based upon the philosophy that all people should be treated fairly and with dignity. California Water Service, Hawaii Water Service, New Mexico Water Service and Washington Water Service do not discriminate against any applicant or employee because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or any other protected class. The Company makes all employment decisions in a non-discriminatory manner. EOE, VET, DISABILITIES. To apply, please visit: https://calwatergroup.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/CWSG/job/Guerneville-CA/Small-System-Operator_R1797 Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency