**IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN APPLYING FOR THIS JOB OPPORTUNITY, PLEASE VISIT https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/irwd AND SUBMIT AN ONLINE JOB APPLICATION. APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED ON A CONTINUOUS BASIS BUT RECRUITMENT COULD CLOSE AT ANY TIME ONCE ENOUGH APPLICATIONS HAVE BEEN RECEIVED SO IF INTERESTED, PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION SOONEST POSSIBLE.**
Salary: $33.57 - $47.75 / Hourly
Do you have the skills to be a successful water utility safety professional and disaster preparedness administrator? Are you an individual who will influence and inspire commitment to compliance with safety standards and maintaining a safe work environment? If so, Irvine Ranch Water District is accepting applications for a Safety Specialist to join the Safety Department and assist with developing "Best-in-class" safety and emergency management programs. The incumbent will under general direction of the Safety Manager, assist in the development and promotion of District-wide emergency planning programs, administration of the District disaster preparedness, response and training programs, HAZMAT Team Program, and conduct safety and health training, assessments, ergonomic evaluations and inspections.
Summary of Duties:
Occupational Safety and Health:
- Develop plans and preparation for the District's response emergencies and disaster incidents.
- Maintain and update the District's Emergency Operations Plan (EOP) specific hazard response plans and emergency operations plan documentation including staff contact lists and staff emergency communication applications software.
- Design, develop and/or coordinate emergency/disaster preparedness training courses that teach employees how to respond effectively to District-wide emergencies and disasters.
- Develop and coordinate staff emergency response training, supply procurement and availability.
- Prepare building evacuation plans and respond to calls for assistance. Coordinate annual evacuation drills, Hazardous Materials Team (HAZMAT) team exercises and District's customer emergency notification system testing. Develop and facilitate tabletop or functional emergency preparedness exercises.
- Ensure readiness of the District's Emergency Operation Center (EOC). Provide guidance in the maintenance of the current primary and alternate EOCs; including but not limited to maintaining plans, resource lists, equipment and overall operational status. Oversee the evaluation of the EOC communication.
- Coordinate the District's emergency response efforts both internally and with outside agencies.
- Administer mutual-aid and inter-agency coordination agreements and other emergency response, programs and/or projects, contracts or grants.
- Serve as coordination liaison with District finance function to secure reimbursement of funds expended during emergencies.
- Serve as liaison to Water Emergency Response of Orange County (WEROC) for the District and provide member agency updates on the District's training, exercise development, and revision of emergency response plans and policies and other preparedness efforts upon request.
- Assist with the implementation, management and maintenance of safety programs, policies, and procedures that meet federal, state, and local legislation/regulations and inform management of impact on operations.
- Evaluate the District's procedures, facilities and equipment by conducting inspections to identify unsafe conditions and to implement safeguards and solutions.
- Ensure the District complies with all current safety regulations and that all employees are aware of safety requirements and are prepared to follow safety procedures.
- Develop and evaluate safe work procedures or programs.
- Conduct or facilitate safety or regulatory inspections of District facilities. Schedule and participate in the Orange County Fire Authority (OCFA) Fire Prevention Inspections and the Orange County Health Care Agency (OCHCA) Hazardous Materials Division Inspections. Updates the Certified Unified Program Agency (CUPA) Hazardous Material Disclosure and Business Emergency Plans. Facilitate inspections for air pressure vessels and tanks required by Cal/OSHA.
- Review contractors' safety programs to ensure compliance with relevant Cal OSHA regulations.
- Schedule and coordinate the Hazardous Materials Response annual training for in-house HAZMAT Team.
- Respond to emergencies involving hazardous materials, and serious work-related vehicle accidents and injuries.
- Participate in the accident investigation process, prepare reports of findings and submit recommendations.
- Utilize the safety training management software program to maintain and track employee safety training and generate training due reports.
- Administer and manage the District's Ergonomic Program. Schedule and conduct employee ergonomic evaluations.
- Perform administrative duties as needed for the effective and efficient operation of the District Safety function such as budget administration, purchasing administration and file and record maintenance.
- Generally, work during normal business hours, but may be required to work nights, weekends and extended hours or be on call when necessary.
- Comply with District safety work-related practices and attend relevant safety training.
A combination of education and experience equivalent to a Bachelor's Degree in Occupational Health and Safety, Emergency Preparedness, or a related course of study, and two years of experience in occupational safety program administration and/or emergency response planning, training and administration is required.
Public utility experience highly desired. Licenses / Certifications Required:
Depending on assignment, a valid Class 'C' California Driver's License may be required.
Incident Command, Standardized Emergency Management System (SEMS), or National Incident Management Systems (NIMS) certifications highly desired. Additional Information:
For a complete job description, please visit: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/irwd/classspecs/862625?keywords=safety%20speciaiis&pagetype=classSpecifications
For more information on our benefits, please visit: https://www.irwd.com/about-us/retirement-and-benefits