Salary: $36.68 to $45.85 Hourly
Are you a self starter? Experienced in construction and inspection of water systems? Otay Water District is seeking a motivated Recycled Water Specialist experienced in inspection and cross connection control testing and we would like to hear from you.
We also welcome veterans and transitioning military. Are you a former member of the military with experience as either a Utilitiesman (AKA Seabees, UT), Water Support Technician, Water Fuel Systems Maintenance, Water Support Specialist, or similar occupation? If so, we encourage you to apply. Consider joining a team of hardworking employees who work to protect and preserve water, one of our most valuable natural resources. The experience you've gained during your service can continue to positively impact the world with a career at Otay.
The Otay Water District offers excellent benefits, a balanced work/life environment and is a leader in the industry.
About the Position and Department
This position in the Engineering Department reports directly to the Field Services Manager and is a part of a dedicated, service-oriented team where collaboration and leadership are promoted at all levels. The position coordinates the District's recycled water program to ensure compliance with state and local regulations.
The Engineering Department is responsible for the Planning, Budgeting, Design and Construction of all Otay Water District Facilities as well as the administration of all developer and new customer construction and service applications. The Department has a staff of approximately 29 employees.
Applications will be accepted until there are a sufficient number of highly qualified applicants from which to make a selection. However, for the earliest consideration, please submit your application materials by December 8, 2022. For information on the recruitment process, please go to the Employment section of our website www.otaywater.gov or click here.
Examples of Duties
- Plans, coordinates, and conducts cross connection tests for new and existing recycled water use sites; reviews plans, specifications, installation for new construction and existing recycled water use sites, coordinates new and existing testing with San Diego County Department of Environmental Health (DEH).
- Inspects, reviews installation, cross connection control testing and site certifications on private recycled and potable water distribution systems to determine separation and identify problems. Tracks changes and coordinates with DEH for testing.
- Plan checks and reviews developer recycled irrigation and ensures contractor compliance with plans, specifications, Title 17 and Title 22 of the California Code of Regulations, District Code of Ordinances, and District Standards. Provides quality control review of contracted plan reviews.
- Recommends substantial completion acceptance and final acceptance of developer projects as appropriate.
- Creates an maintains records of recycled water use sites, work orders, rule violations, areas within use sites where recycled water is used, cross connection and annual review due dates using District established productivity systems and applications.
- Operates a variety of tools required to complete job requirements, test and pressure gauge(s) and other other test equipment.
- Receives, investigates, evaluates, and responds to customer complaints regarding cross connections; resolves complaints in a timely and efficient manner.
- Reads, understands, and ensures compliance with the District Safety Manual; attends safety meetings, as required; reports all accidents, violations, or infractions to supervisor.
- Operates District vehicles as required.
- Identifies and recommends opportunities for improvement.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
For the complete job description go to the Employment section of our website www.otaywater.gov
or click here
. Required Licenses and/or Certifications
Minimum Experience, Education, and Training Requirements Experience:
- A valid California Class "C" Driver's License and a safe driving record.
- A valid Cross Connection Control Specialist Certificate issued by the American Water Works Association or American Backflow Prevention Association required within twelve (12) months of hire date.
- A valid Water Distribution Operator Certification Grade II issued by the California State Water Resource Control Board required within two (2) years of hire date.
Two (2) years experience in any of the following areas: utility construction, inspection, water system operation, construction project management, meter maintenance/backflow, certified landscape irrigation auditor or two (2) years of journey-level experience in compliance review and cross connection testing of new and existing on-site recycled water systems. Education:
High school diploma or G.E.D. Additional Information:
- This position will be subject to random drug testing during employment.
- This is an hourly, non-exempt position.
- Otay Water District is a Smoking, Tobacco and Nicotine Free Campus.
- All Otay Water District employees are at-will pursuant to California Water Code, Section 71362.