West Basin Municipal Water District is a global leader in the water industry in water recycling, conservation, water resource management, and youth and adult education. West Basin provides drinking water and recycled water to eight local retail water agencies including four cities, three private water companies, and one county water agency. The District serves a population of nearly one million residents in 17 cities and unincorporated areas along the coastal corridor from Palos Verdes to Malibu. The District is governed by an elected five-member Board of Directors and is a member agency of the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California.
West Basin operates the Edward C. Little Water Recycling Facility and three satellite locations. It is the largest treatment and water purification facility of its type providing nearly 40 million gallons of water each day to over 300 sites. West Basin utilizes various advanced treatment processes to produce five types of “fit-for-purpose” waters used for commercial, industrial, and landscape purposes, including three ultra-pure waters.
West Basin owns and operates over 100 miles of recycled water pipelines and supplies recycled water to customers for non-potable use. To expand the use of recycled water, the District assists customers with the process of converting their sites to utilize recycled water. In addition, the District conducts site inspections to ensure compliance for the safe use of recycled water.
West Basin is an equal opportunity employer, promoting diversity in its recruitment process and programs. The District is committed to customer service and seeks to provide its customers with the most qualified and exceptional professional services through those they employ while offering an excellent benefits package to its employees.
West Basin is seeking an experienced communications professional who, under general supervision, will perform a variety of professional tasks in support of the District's communications and outreach programs and activities. The Public Information Specialist I or II will create and develop a wide variety of materials for use in public information, communication, and outreach programs; reshape and implement the District’s social media strategy, assist with the promotion of District community events; contribute to the effectiveness of the District website; and provide general support for the Public Information Department. The position will also perform other related duties as assigned. The District is seeking an individual with two to three years of experience whose skills and abilities best reflect the qualifications for the position.
Key responsibilities are:
QUALIFICATIONS: The ideal candidate will have:
- Leads and implements the District’s social media strategy and editorial process, including overseeing the editorial calendar, proactively providing topics/subject matter, developing content, obtaining graphic design resources, and scheduling approved content in Sprout Social.
- Writes, edits, and contributes to the creation of marketing communication collateral and other District platforms, including publications, newsletters, factsheets, flyers, brochures, advertisements, presentations, handouts, web copy, visual graphics and displays, charts, and other printed or digital materials.
- Contributes to the oversight of the District’s website (www.westbasin.org) including providing content management (using WordPress), collaborating with various District departments for timely and accurate online information, traffic and metrics reporting, and content strategy to improve user experience.
- Develops materials and presentations in support of the District’s Board of Directors, senior management team, outreach, conservation, and educational programs; may also make presentations to internal and external audiences as needed.
- Researches and provides recommendations on new content for outreach and communications projects, as assigned.
- Supports planning District/public/community meetings and events.
- Develop planning documents, agendas, and schedules presentation materials; make facility arrangements, room, and equipment set up, including refreshments, and assembling of materials.
- Conducts day-to-day department administrative tasks including, filing, copying, managing calendars, entering purchase orders, and other related tasks as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in public relations or communications AND two to three years of professional experience, with roles coordinating projects and public relations programs. Experience in the water industry, a public agency, and/or a public relations firm is a plus.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles, practices, and methods of public relations as applied in the design and implementation of research, community outreach, media relations, and communications.
- Passion for social media and knowledge of strategies to cultivate and grow social media audience, followers, and interactions.
- Knowledge of the methods and techniques of writing for advertising, marketing, and public relations campaigns.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of sound public communication, the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) four-step process, project planning, and budgeting applicable to areas of assigned responsibility.
- Knowledge of correct English usage, including spelling, grammar, and punctuation; basic principles, practices, and uses of audio/visual systems, computers, and Microsoft Office, and web-based communications, including HTML formatting and web content development software.
- Knowledge of California water issues and, or experience in local government.
- Ability to operate a computer using word processing, desktop publishing, and other standard text and graphics software.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing.
- Ability to apply writing style and techniques appropriate for differing business and journalistic/public relations purposes; edit written materials; interpret information and situations and make recommendations in accordance with applicable policies, regulations, and guidelines; and exercise sound judgment within established guidelines.
- Ability to maintain accurate files and records.
- Demonstrated ability to participate in groups effectively.
- Strong interpersonal ability to work cooperatively and maintain effective relationships with the District Board of Directors, managers and staff, vendors, consultants, employees, representatives of other governmental agencies, and others encountered in the course of work.
- Ability to be creative, energetic, and self-motivated, and to take initiative where appropriate.
- Required to operate standard business equipment; reach with hands and arms; and is frequently required to stand and walk, kneel, crouch or twist, and occasionally lift or carry materials up to 25 pounds.
- Possession of a valid Class C California Driver's License, proof of insurance, and an acceptable driving record are required at the time of appointment and as a condition of continued employment. The employee is required to use their vehicle with mileage reimbursed at the standard IRS rate.
There is one (1) vacancy currently available. The salary range is $74,566 - $108,729 annually, depending on qualifications. The position is eligible for benefits. Apply by:
Open until filled, first review of applications: February 17, 2023. Apply online at: www.westbasin.org
. For questions or additional information, please contact West Basin Municipal Water District, Human Resources Department, 17140 S. Avalon Boulevard, Carson, CA 90746, (310) 660-6228. Email: email@example.com
In addition to the required West Basin Online Application and Supplemental Questionnaire response, please submit a cover letter and resume. Work samples are also encouraged. Resume-only submissions will not be accepted in lieu of a completed District Online Application and Supplemental Questionnaire.
The most qualified applicants will be invited to participate further in the screening process, which will include a panel interview.