Spartanburg Water is seeking a Project Engineer II or III. The successful candidate manages projects from design phase to completion, reviews engineering plans and specifications, and prepares engineering water/sewer reports and designs ensuring compliance with regulations and standards.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
Minimum Training and Experience
- Reviews plans and specifications developed by consulting engineers in order to ensure compliance with relative regulations and standards; reviews title search information in order to obtain project right of way and property purchases. Tracks and/or manages developer, in-house and participation projects from design to finished working product.
- Drafts ownership and service agreements, preliminary engineering reports, water and sewer availability letters, meets with potential customers in order to discuss relative matters; drafts agenda items and permit applications.
- Provides in-house design for existing distribution and collection system extensions, repairs, upgrades, maintenance, etc. Utilizes appropriate office equipment in preparation of water and sewer designs. Prepares cost estimates for both water and sewer projects. Prepares service population projections, estimates water needs and wastewater discharge projections, reviews inflow and infiltration studies, prepares maps and visual aids.
- Interacts professionally with consulting engineers, technicians, operations personnel, maintenance staff, customers, accounting department, etc.; communicates with Engineering department personnel in order to discuss applicable fees and charges, right-of-ways, project design, inspection reports, etc.
- Assists with regulatory permitting process by preparing and submitting permit application packages to applicable regulating authority.
- Interacts with S. C. Department of Health and Environmental Control, Spartanburg County, S. C. Highway Department, Railroads, and other utilities and governmental agencies relative to permits and rights of way required.
- Conducts performance appraisals of subordinate staff and makes salary recommendations as appropriate; administers disciplinary actions as needed; approves vacation leave; interviews, selects and hires new employees; handles personnel related problems.
- Reviews staff prepared studies, hydraulic models, draft letters, cost estimates, design drawings, specifications, preliminary layout plans, etc., to ensure accuracy and provide guidance, direction, suggestions, etc.
- Directs departmental staff and consultants in the design of water pipelines, sewer collection and treatment facilities.
- Is on call for emergency situations.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Bachelor’s degree in civil, environmental, mechanical engineering or related engineering discipline with a minimum 8 years experience in water and/or sewer engineering design, project management and construction projects; or any equivalent combination of education and experience. Must be a registered Professional Engineer and possess a valid driver’s license.
Spartanburg Water is an industry leading utility that offers team members a culture of innovation, a history of excellence and an investment in their continued success.
Nestled in the Piedmont region of South Carolina and a short drive away from the beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains and ever-popular beaches of the South Carolina Low country, Spartanburg is a thriving and growing community that is home to seven diverse and well-known institutions of higher learning. Residents enjoy incredible outdoor recreation opportunities, an eclectic and delicious local restaurant and brewery scene, a vibrant cultural environment and the benefits of strong economic growth with an affordable cost of living. INNOVATION:
Through innovative technologies and industry leading practices, Spartanburg Water has had the honor of twice receiving recognition as a Utility of the Future Today – and as one of only two South Carolina utilities to ever receive the award and only one of 18 utilities globally to receive the honor a second time. HISTORY:
Through sustainability and resiliency, Spartanburg Water has consistently provided the highest quality drinking water and wastewater services to our region for more than 100 years, and continues to be a vital part of the area’s successful economic growth and development. INVESTMENT:
Spartanburg Water offers a generous compensation package, including full medical, dental and vision benefits and participation in the SC Retirement System. The organization also offers tuition reimbursement and opportunities for paid certifications and training. Spartanburg Water firmly believes in the importance of investing in the health, security, and potential of all team members. Learn More/Apply: https://www.spartanburgwater.org/careers