Application and Instructions can be found at: https://www.encinajpa.com/work-with-us
SALARY: $56,763.20 - $76,627.20 / year
POSITION SUMMARY: Under the supervision of the Operations Supervisor, Lead Operator, or designee, this position performs: limited operation and maintenance activities of complex treatment systems and auxiliary equipment at the Encina Water Pollution Control Facility (EWPCF), the Carlsbad Water Recycling Facility (CWRF), and other Authority operated facilities and other related duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Promotes the Authority’s Mission, Vision, and Values.
- Under direct supervision, operates treatment processes and auxiliary facilities to safely and efficiently meet all regulatory permit requirements.
- As directed, monitors, troubleshoots and performs minor repairs on various equipment including pumps, motors, regulators, etc.
- As directed, collects samples and performs laboratory testing for operational evaluations and process control.
- Drives Authority vehicles.
- Operates forklifts, utility carts, dump trucks, semi-tractors, trailers and other equipment within the plant compound.
- As directed, performs daily plant checks; inspects valves, pumps and equipment; and monitors instrumentation and control systems.
- Inspects and reports problems in plant treatment processes.
- Performs general housekeeping tasks and building maintenance.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Specific Types of Knowledge, Skills, and Physical Abilities Required for These Duties:
- General knowledge of the types of equipment used in the wastewater treatment process such as pumps, motors, valves, filters, engines, meters, blowers and compressors.
- Skills in basic arithmetic; reading, writing and oral communication in English; and utilizing a computer, including data entry and word processing.
- Knowledge of and ability to use tools and equipment necessary to perform limited repairs to mechanical equipment.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships in order to foster a team approach.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical activities for extended periods of time, including lifting, bending, carrying, crawling and climbing.
- Ability to withstand exposure to varying weather conditions, work in wet and/or odorous areas, and work in confined spaces.
- Ability to work varying hours, weekends, and holidays, and respond to 24 hour emergency call-ins.
Graduation from high school or equivalent and six Continuing Education Units (CEUs) in wastewater treatment or science. Experience that clearly demonstrates possession of the knowledge and skills stated in the position description. LICENSE REQUIREMENT:
Possession of a valid California Class C Driver's License and ability to be insured under the Authority's automobile insurance coverage. Note: Failure to maintain a valid California Driver's License constitutes possible cause for termination. CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENT:
Attainment of an Operator-In-Training certificate from the State of California Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB) within 90 days of employment and maintenance of certificate in an active status. A valid California State Water Resources Control Board Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator Grade I Certificate or higher must be obtained within 24 months from date of hire to advance to the Operator I classification. Failure to obtain a Grade I or higher certificate could result in termination of employment. PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS: Physical Demands
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to walk; talk or hear by telephone and in person; sit; smell; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach and lift with hands or arms. The employee is frequently required to stand, stoop, and kneel for prolonged periods of time.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, the ability to distinguish colors and shades, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The employee must regularly lift and move up to 50 pounds. Mental Demands
While performing the duties of this position, employees are regularly required to use oral and written communication skills; read documents or instructions; analyze and solve problems; observe and interpret data or information; use mathematical reasoning; learn and apply new information or skills; perform detailed work; work under changing, intensive deadlines with constant interruptions; and perform multiple concurrent tasks. WORK ENVIRONMENT:
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is frequently exposed to toxic or hazardous chemicals, and slip, trip and fall hazards.
The noise level in the work environment is quiet to loud. Hearing protection is required in some work areas. RESPIRATORY PROTECTION POLICY/PROGRAM REQUIREMENT:
This position must comply with the Authority's Respiratory Protection Policy & Procedures, which requires the use of respirators when conducting specific tasks. QUALIFICATIONS:
Ability to pass Authority pre-employment physical examination, including respiratory protection, hearing and other testing as applicable; possession of a good driving record and ability to be insured by Authority's insurance carrier; and the ability to read, write, speak and comprehend English. PROMOTIONAL OPPORTUNITIES:
A promotion to Operator I may be made after an Operator-In-Training: successfully completes a one-year probation period; possesses a valid SWRCB Grade I Wastewater Operator Certificate or higher. RIGHT TO WORK REQUIREMENT:
Must be a United States citizen or possess qualified alien status. Documentation of eligibility to work in U.S. will be required as a condition of employment.
The Encina Wastewater Authority does not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of age, race, color, sex, ancestry, national origin, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual identity, religion, military status, medical condition, mental disability, and physical disability.
The list of essential job duties contained in this job description is not exhaustive, and may be supplemented as necessary. This position performs other related duties as assigned, some of which may become essential to the position.
Any offer of employment for this position is contingent upon receipt of acceptable results from a background investigation and a drug screen.