The Southwest Florida Water Management District (District), a leader in protecting Florida's water resources, is seeking an Engineering & Watershed Management Manager
to manage and lead the District’s Engineering and Watershed Management Section and associated programs including the Watershed Management Program and Flood Protection Cooperative Funding Initiative (CFI) projects. The Engineering & Watershed Management Section Manager has eight professional direct reports, including a projects supervisor who has an additional eight staff members.
The District strives to hire and retain outstanding talent within an individual's desired field to successfully fulfill the District's mission. The District searches for those with extraordinary interpersonal, communication (both written and verbal), and problem-solving skills, as well as a passion for technical excellence.
The District prides itself in being a science and technology leader in the management of water resources for its sixteen-county coverage area. The District offers work-life balance, collaborative work environment and competitive benefits; including medical insurance, paid annual and sick leave, Florida Retirement System benefits, just to name a few. Essential Functions
- Hire, supervise, evaluate, develop, coach, discipline, discharge and otherwise manage and lead staff and resolve staff issues in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Coordinate with stakeholders establishing and maintaining positive working relationships with all levels of staff, the District Governing Board, state and local government officials, community/interest groups, the public, and consulting professionals.
- Oversee management of projects ranging from watershed planning and evaluation to design and construction of flood protection projects. The Engineering & Watershed Management Section manages on the order of 100 projects with net annual costs of approximately $24M.
- Coordinate with Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), State, and local government staff in the development of FEMA Flood Insurance Rate Maps and manage staff efforts to provide technical assistance in floodplain analysis and delineation.
- Develop long-range objectives and goals related to existing or anticipated Section programs and projects, consistent with direction received from the Governing Board and the executive team.
- Provide project management expertise, technical assistance, and policy implementation oversight to Section project supervisor and staff.
- Plan and develop systems and procedures to improve the efficiency of the Section.
- Review and approve time sheets, leave requests, budgets, scopes of work, contracts, payments, proposals, and purchase of equipment and supplies in accordance with the District’s signature authority policies.
- Develop and manage the Section budget.
- Prepare and give formal and informal presentations to community/interest groups, District boards, governmental bodies and commissions, and other stakeholders.
- Participate in emergency management activities before, during, and after declared emergency events (such as hurricanes or other major storm events) in conjunction with the overall emergency management strategy, operations, and recovery for the District and State of Florida.
Bachelor's or better in Civil, Environmental, Water Resources, or related Engineering field. Preferred
Masters or better in Civil, Environmental, Water Resources, or related Engineering field. Experience Required
- Valid Florida Professional Engineer license or ability to obtain within 12 months of hire
- 5 years: Related water resources and project management experience
Licenses & Certifications Required
- Experience with design and construction of stormwater related projects
- Experience with FEMA FIRM program
- Experience with watershed management planning and hydrodynamic stormwater modeling
- 2 years: Supervisory experience
HOW TO APPLY:
- Driver's License
- FL Professional Engineer
Please visit www.watermatters.org/careers
for a more detailed job posting, as well as information on the Benefits offered by the District. Applications are submitted online through the District’s Careers page.