The purpose of this position is to develop, plan, manage and implement departmental and divisional goals and objectives that align with City and Council strategic priorities and execute policy decisions; recommend and administer business practices and procedures; to coordinate assigned activities with other City departments and outside agencies; to provide highly responsible and complex administrative assistance and serve as a technical advisor to the Municipal Utilities Director related to the assigned area of Water Utilities.
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS Work Experience:
- Manage program activities and functions in the Water Utilities Division to assure the protection of public health and safety and the environment, the Department’s compliance with State and Federal environmental and water quality laws and regulations and adherence to City policies and standards.
- Provide leadership to employees in communication, team building, positive work interactions, responsible decision-making and problem solving.
- Provide the Municipal Utilities Director timely and useful information necessary to make strategic decisions on the important aspects of utility operations.
- Serve as a technical advisor to the Municipal Utilities Director, City Manager and/or City Council on water utility projects related to compliance, water resource management, operations, capital improvement programs, asset management, water and wastewater rates, financial management and regional water-related programs or other matters; make presentations to the City Council and others as required.
- Assist the Municipal Utilities Director in enculturating strategic management philosophies with associated performance metrics in business practices. Support the Municipal Utilities Director in evaluating division performance against water and wastewater industry best practices and sustainability goals.
- Assist the Municipal Utilities Director in ensuring a culture of safety, inclusion, dignity, decency and respect and an atmosphere that allows all employees to thrive.
Requires seven years of full-time increasingly responsible professional experience performing the core duties, either in the public or private sector, in the areas of water treatment, wastewater treatment, water distribution and wastewater collection and five years of management level responsibility.
Years of experience are based upon a full-time work schedule (2,080 hours per year). The sum of an applicant’s full-time and/or part-time qualifying work experience must meet or exceed the stated minimum qualification. Education will not substitute for the required work experience; however, related unpaid and/or volunteer work experience may be used as qualifying work experience. Education:
Requires a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in public or business administration, environmental science, engineering or a field of study related to the core functions of this position. Salary:
$124,596 to $168,205 Annually Close Date:
This recruitment is open until the position is filled or a sufficient number of applications have been reviewed to establish a qualified candidate pool. Learn More/Apply: https://www.tempe.gov/government/internal-services/human-resources/careers