Salary: $9,425.00 - $13,239.00 Monthly
Close Date: Dec. 11, 2022, 11:59 p.m.
The Irvine Ranch Water District is hiring for a people-first, creative, and problem-solving Customer Service Manager in our Customer Service Department.
Irvine Ranch Water District (IRWD): Established in 1961 as a California Water District under the provisions of the California Water Code, IRWD is an independent special district serving central Orange County. IRWD provides high-quality drinking water, reliable sewage collection and treatment, ground-breaking recycled water programs, and environmentally sound urban runoff treatment to its customers. As an independent, not-for-profit public agency, IRWD is governed by a publicly elected five-member Board of Directors. Board members are elected from five divisions and serve four-year terms. The Board is responsible for the District's policies and decision-making. Day-to-day operations are supervised by the General Manager.
The Department: The mission of the Customer Services Department is to provide high quality customer services with an unwavering commitment to our internal and external customers. The Customer Service Department performs services for activities associated with residential and non-residential water and sewer services.
The Position: The Customer Service Manager reports to the Executive Director of Finance & Administration and manages four (4) Customer Service Supervisors and thirty-one (31) Call Center and Field staff. The Customer Service Manager is responsible for directing, planning and organizing all activities pertaining to residential and non-residential water and sewer services, meter readings, and related field activities, including problems regarding leaks, lack of water complaints, water quality, sewer problems, odor, and pressure problems to ensure the efficient operation of the Customer Service department.
Selection and Pre-Placement Processes: Applications will be screened carefully, and selected applicants will be invited to an interview. The selected candidate must complete a reference check/employment verification, background investigation, and pre-employment medical exam.
Summary of Duties
- Work with customer service staff (office, field, reception desk, cashiering and mailroom) to ensure a high-performance, customer service-oriented work environment that supports achieving the department’s and District’s mission, objectives and values regarding teamwork for both internal and external customers.
- Comply with District safety work-related practices and attend relevant safety training.
- Select, train and review performance of staff members and make appropriate recommendations regarding salary adjustments, promotions, and disciplinary action.
- Manage and direct the meter start and stop service activities for new and existing services, problem and delinquent accounts and shut-offs for non-payment. Ensure requirements for shut-offs comply with legal requirements.
- Responsible for maintaining billing schedule, timely resolution of billing problems and adjustments to accounts.
- Manage any government related assistance program participation for customers as appropriate.
- Manage outside contractors for functions related to contract meter reading services, electronic bill printing, presentment and payments, and other services as appropriate.
- Manage and assist in responding to difficult and complex customer inquiries in-person, by telephone and e-mail.
- Oversee answering service to ensure after hours’ coverage for District field problems.
- Responsible for department input to District’s strategic, tactical, and operational measures.
- Prepare the department operational budget, and manage the department within approved budget guidelines.
- Maintain a current department Procedure Manual for use within the department and initiate changes as needed.
- Collect and analyze customer satisfaction survey and other data as necessary.
- Interface with Information Services department and recommend and coordinate modifications and additions to the Oracle Customer Care and Billing (CC&B) software application to meet department and District requirements. Provide adequate testing as required prior to implementation.
- Attend Board of Directors and Committee Meetings as required, make presentations, and provide input/expertise regarding customer service issues.
- Perform special projects and assignments, or other related duties as assigned.
A combination of education and experience equivalent to a bachelor’s degree in public administration, public relations, business administration, or related field is required. For degrees obtained outside of the U.S., an official equivalency evaluation is required. Experience:
Six (6) years of experience, including three (3) years at the supervisory level, preferably with a public utility service, with an emphasis in Customer Service or Public Relations. License and Certifications:
Depending on assignment, a valid Class 'C' California Driver's License may be required. For a complete job description, click here
. For more information regarding our benefits, click here