About Otay Water District
The Otay Water District, established in 1956, is a public agency providing water, recycled water, and sewer service to approximately 225,870 people within roughly 125 square miles of southeastern San Diego County, including the communities of eastern Chula Vista, Bonita, Jamul, Spring Valley, Rancho San Diego, unincorporated areas of El Cajon and La Mesa, and eastern Otay Mesa along the international border with Mexico.
The ideal candidate will have strong leadership skills to ensure reliability and continuity in water and wastewater system construction, repairs and operations; ability to recommend improvements and innovations (both with and without the utilization of technology); experience with Asset Management; strong safety philosophy and emergency response planning; outstanding organizational skills to manage the activities of the Water Operations Department, as well as the ability to provide complex administrative support to the General Manager and Board of Directors, and ability to work as a member of the District’s Senior Management Team.
The ideal candidate should also possess the following Personal Characteristics, Skills, and Experience:
A Visionary and Leader – Experienced Manager, Strategic Thinker – Innovative, Forward Thinking –Collaborative – Professional and Highly Competent – Business, Customer and Results Oriented – Open Communicator – Committed to Employees
The Otay Water District offers competitive compensation, comprehensive benefits, a balanced work/life environment, and is a leader in the industry.
About the Position and Department
Under administrative direction of the General Manager, the Chief of Water Operations plans, directs, manages and oversees the activities and operations of the Operations Department including: Utility Maintenance, Water Systems Operations, Reclamation Operations, Fleet Maintenance, Pump/Electrical and Wastewater Operations.
The Operations Department is responsible for the operations, maintenance and repair of all Otay Water District infrastructure, facilities, and equipment. Infrastructure and facilities include pipelines, reservoirs, pump stations, and a reclamation plant for potable and recycled water distribution, wastewater collections, and wastewater reclamation. The Operations Department works closely with the Engineering, Finance, and Administrative Services Departments. The Operations Department has a staff of 54 employees.
Applications will be accepted until there are a sufficient number of highly qualified applicants from which to make a selection. However, for the earliest consideration, please submit your application materials by November 8, 2020. Online interviews will be scheduled as soon as possible with top candidates. For information on the recruitment process, please go to the Employment section of our website www.otaywater.gov or click here.
Examples of Duties
- Plans, directs, and manages the programs for the Water Operations Department including: Utility Maintenance, Water Systems Operations, Reclamation Operations, Fleet Maintenance, Pump/Electrical and Wastewater Operations.
- Manages the development and implementation of the Water Operations Department's goals, objectives, policies, and procedures.
- Participates in the District’s Asset Management program including condition assessment functions and lifecycle management of assets and infrastructure.
- Participates in the development and execution of the District’s strategic plan, and the associated development strategies, objectives and performance metrics.
- Manages priorities, assignments and workload; establishes appropriate service and staffing levels; and allocates resources accordingly.
- Monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; assesses and monitors workload, administrative and support systems, and internal reporting relationships; continuously identifies opportunities for improvement; directs the implementation of changes.
- Represents the Water Operations Department to other District sections, public officials and outside agencies; explains, justifies and defends the Water Operations Department's programs, policies, and activities.
- Selects, trains, and evaluates the Water Operations Department's personnel; provides or coordinates staff training; works with employees to correct deficiencies; implements discipline and termination procedures; provides recognition for superior performance.
- Directs and manages the development and administration of the Water Operations Department's budget; directs the forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; directs the monitoring of and approves expenditures.
- Interacts with District senior team members and coordinates the Water Operations Department's activities in collaboration with other departments, outside agencies and organizations.
- Provides staff assistance to the General Manager and Board of Directors; prepares and presents staff reports and other necessary correspondence.
- Participates on a variety of boards and committees; attends and participates in professional group meetings; stays abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of potable and recycled water, wastewater treatment and disposal operations.
- Responds to and resolves difficult and sensitive employee and customer inquiries and complaints.
- Reviews and provides recommendations on all new facilities and major modification plans; serves as project manager for assigned projects coordinating the design, construction, and start-up.
For the complete job description go to the Employment section of our website www.otaywater.gov
or click here
. Required Licenses and/or Certifications
Minimum Experience, Education, and Training Requirements Experience:
- A valid A valid California Driver's License and a safe driving record.
- California State Water Resources Control Board Water Distribution Operator Grade 5 Certificate highly desirable.
Seven (7) years of management, program, and/or project level experience in water distribution and wastewater systems. Education:
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Business Administration, Public Administration or related field. Salary:
$166,468.85 - $208,147.11 Annually Apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/otay/jobs/2860441/chief-water-operations