The Accountant I/II performs difficult and complex financial accounting work in support of the Finance Department, including processing accounts payable, accounts receivable, fixed assets, payroll and purchase orders; compiles, reconciles, and verifies general accounting information and setting up and maintaining a variety of fiscal records along with payroll processing.
This position will be primarily responsible for accounts receivable and project accounting as detailed on the official job classification. An example of duties are as follows:
The Ideal Candidate
- Accounts for daily cash receipts, posts billing payments, and non-water billings and reconciles and prepares deposits.
- Performs accounting duties related to lease receivables and property management activities.
- Assists with Capital and Development Projects including receiving and processing developer project deposits, reconciling project expenditures, and processing revisions for approved projects.
- Performs duties involving fixed asset acquisition and disposal, ensuring compliance with District policies and procedures.
- Reviews original documents and prepares journal entries.
- Prepares assigned District financial reports, including reports for the monthly Board meetings.
- Reconciles benefit billings and payments. Posts and updates employee information to a variety of software systems.
- Assists with month-end and year-end bank account and balance sheet reconciliations.
- Knowledge of the purposes, methods, practices, and principles of District financial and recordkeeping general ledger, project and asset accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, lease receivable, and payroll and benefits systems.
- Ability to analyze and interpret fiscal accounting records and prepare accurate and complete business transactions and financial reports.
- Ability to perform a variety of difficult and complex financial recordkeeping, fiscal support work, reconciliation, job costing and payroll system maintenance.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with coworkers, outside agencies, vendors, consultants/contractors and the public.
Equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in accounting, finance, or a related field. Experience: Accountant I:
No experience necessary. Accountant II:
Two years of professional accounting experience performing accounting and related work at a level equivalent to the Accountant I.
To be considered for this position, candidates are required to submit an SSWD application, cover letter, and resume by Monday, November 9, 2020 to: http://www.sswd.org/departments/human-resources/employment-opportunities